Come fellowship with us, and don’t forget to grab a morning cup of coffee!
We have options for all ages during Hour in the Word (9-10am):
2s and 3s begins at 9am
Catechism connection (ages 4-11)
Basics Bible Study (in the Great Room)11 and up
Christians need to study the Bible together. Because this is so important, we devote an hour before the service to studying it as a community. In the Great Room a plethora of gifted teachers lead classes on a variety of topics, all centered on the basics of Christian life and teaching. This time begins at 9am and goes until 10am.
Abundant Life Class (hope to restart fall 2021)
“I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
The “Abundant Life” is a co-leader led group discussion class that has the goal of maturing Disciples of Christ. Each week, the leaders present a topic, a reading from a chosen book or a Scripture passage on a point of theology or tenet of the faith and then facilitate a time of discussion among group members on their thoughts, feelings, beliefs, experiences, hopes and questions. Freedom is given for lively discussion in order for attenders to be challenged and grow. It is hoped that this discussion time would be “iron sharpening iron” and believers would grow deeper in their surrender to Christ and in their relationships with brothers and sisters in the body.
What to Expect During the Service
- Each service focuses on one theme—one of the Lord’s attributes or gifts to us. All the elements of the service zero in creatively on that one idea. No two services are ever alike.
- Our music, and all the other elements in worship, reflects the wide range of people at VCL. We often say, “We paint with the colors God gives us.” We do not try to make our music traditional, contemporary or blended. Instead, we want to use as many of our people as we can. You might hear an upbeat worship band or a string quartet, hymns in four-part harmony or one of your favorite praise songs.
- There is a kind of comfortable family feel in our services. We do not plan every minute and we love the prayer, “Lord, do something this morning that isn’t in the bulletin.”
- We have Communion about once a month.
- Preaching is a main reason we come together. We want to hear what God says to us from his Word. Every sermon takes you deep into one passage of Scripture and then takes that Scripture deep into your life. Typically, our pastors preach through a section of the Bible—a book or several chapters. Occasionally, we will study a topic like work or compassion, but each Sunday will focus on one passage.
- Except on Communion Sunday, children age 4 through third grade are dismissed about half way through the service for their own age-graded learning time.