First Hour Connections – 9:15 AM
Learning and friendships for all ages
Come fellowship with us! Don’t forget to grab a morning cup of coffee!
We have two great connection options for our adults, as well as youth gatherings.
Greater Things Class
Studying the Bible can be hard, but this gathering on Sunday mornings tries to make it fun. We need the whole family of God to read Scripture together, and that’s what you’ll find happening in the Greater Things class. There’s discussion, brainstorming, and working to interpret the Bible together. The class is a mix of Trinity students, singles, parents with young families, older couples, and college professors. It’s a fun, multigenerational mix, which honors each person individually while also celebrating our different perspectives and cultures as a family strength.
We meet in the Great Room during the First Hour Connections, which begin at 9:15 AM on Sundays. The class is facilitated by Pastor Jamie Morrison but don’t be surprised to meet guest teachers or to have a team of teachers go through a series together. Greater Things is about collaboration and exploration, and having fun while doing it!
Abundant Life Class
“…I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
The “Abundant Life” is a co-leader led group discussion class that has the goal of maturing Disciples of Christ. Each week, the leaders present a topic, a reading from a chosen book or a Scripture passage on a point of theology or tenet of the faith and then facilitate a time of discussion among group members on their thoughts, feelings, beliefs, experiences, hopes and questions. Freedom is given for lively discussion in order for attenders to be challenged and grow. It is hoped that this discussion time would be “iron sharpening iron” and believers would grow deeper in their surrender to Christ and in their relationships with brothers and sisters in the body.
Middle School and Senior High
We have two classes; one for our students from sixth to eighth grade, and one for our students from ninth through twelfth grade. Usually, the content focuses on a book of the Bible.
Worship Service – 10:30 AM
Worship draws God’s people together and gives us one voice to celebrate the Lord’s character and blessings. The way we worship reflects the unique personality of our church. At Village Church this is what you can expect:
- Each service focuses on one theme—one of the Lord’s attributes or gifts to us. All the elements of the service zero in creatively on that one idea. No two services are ever alike.
- Our music, and all the other elements in worship, reflects the wide range of people at VCL. We often say, “We will paint with the colors God gives us.” We do not try to make our music traditional, contemporary or blended. Instead, we want to use as many of our people as we can. You might hear an upbeat worship band or a string quartet, hymns in four-part harmony or one of your favorite praise songs. We have at least four distinct worship teams plus other soloists and ensembles. Some Sundays we have a choir or an orchestra. We also love to hear Scripture, read well. At least once a month we invite a finish-the-sentence congregational sharing. For example, “One Bible verse that I think of in trouble is…” And we always pray, often in several different ways.
- There is a kind of comfortable family feel in our services. We do not plan every minute and we love the prayer, “Lord, do something this morning that isn’t in the bulletin.”
- We have Communion about once a month.
- Preaching is a main reason we come together. We want to hear what God says to us from his Word. Every sermon takes you deep into one passage of Scripture and then takes that Scripture deep into your life. Typically, our pastors preach through a section of the Bible—a book or several chapters. Occasionally, we will study a topic like work or compassion, but each Sunday will focus on one passage.
- Our services last between 75 and 90 minutes. Elementary aged children are usually dismissed about half way through the service for their own age-graded learning time.